The American Cancer Society and SL Christmas Expo announced today that all donations to the “Believe in The Magic of Christmas”, the 9th Annual Christmas Expo, in support of the Expo’s mission to Fight Childhood Cancer, will be dedicated to help provide funding for VR Headsets for childhood cancer patients. Along with Linden Lab, their partner in the fight against cancer, and our sponsors and participants, the Expo will be working to reach the Goal of $20,000 to help fund the Society’s VR Headset program for pediatric patients undergoing cancer treatment.
The American Cancer Society and Children’s Hospital of Atlanta (CHOA) have partnered to provide virtual reality (VR) headsets for pediatric cancer patients to use while undergoing various cancer treatments within the hospital.
- For over 100 years, the American Cancer Society has provided patient services to improve the lives of cancer patients. The virtual reality pediatric program uses innovative technology to further expand the services offered to pediatric cancer patients in an extremely impactful and relevant way.
- Research suggests that ideal distraction tasks consume some portion of attentional resources so that less cognitive capacity remains available for processing pain.
- Distraction is a pain management technique that has been shown to successfully reduce pain and behavioral distress in children during invasive medical procedures. VR distraction is a promising intervention for children undergoing painful medical procedures and is an ideal distractor for procedure-related pain because it competes for attention resources in multiple sensory domains and provides visual and auditory sensory blocking of external stimuli...
- 19 studies across nearly 1,000 articles have explored the effects of VR interventions with cancer patients. These studies found:
- VR improved patients’ emotional well-being
- A reduction in patients’ distress in terms of cancer-related psychological symptoms.
- A significant decrease in anxiety, distress, and fatigue immediately after chemotherapy sessions with VR
With more than 100 Merchants, Raffles, Breedables & One Of A Kind Auctions, Gotchas Hunts and Entertainment, games, contests and fun, the 10 day Expo, which runs from Dec 5th through 15th, is the Premier Holiday Experience in Second Life. This year’s Expo will also feature the reveal of the long awaited 4th Edition Linden Homes and special content provided by our partner, Linden Lab. The Lights of Hope House Decorating Contest will also return for a 2nd year. The Expo will conclude with the 11th Annual Holidays of Hope Ball.
Do not miss out on Believe in The Magic of Christmas, the 2019 Second Life Christmas Expo, December 5th through the 15th, in support of the American Cancer Society.
Give The Gift of Hope and Fight Childhood Cancer!
Registration is underway and going fast! Sign up now for a store, shop or booth, and join some of Second Life’s premier merchants as a sponsor! For More Information or to reserve your store visit: https://slchristmasexpo.com or contact Nuala Maracas in world.